A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Sunday 13 April 2014

Chevron Baby Blanket

Hello!
I just love crochet and I just love new babies. I also love to combine the two and make baby blankets.
My favourite wool to work with is 4 ply baby merino. I usually like to use a bigger hook than 4 ply traditionally uses because I find that it gives a very delicate, vintage shawl type look. A look I like. It is also a very nice weight for summer babies. I used a 5.5 mm hook.

Late last year a dear friend of mine in the UK annouced that she was expecting her first baby. A wee surprise. I had seen a lovely chevron pattern in a recent Crochet magazine and decided to give it a crack. The actual pattern I purchased from Etsy in the end. I crochet with UK crochet and this is in US so I just went through and converted all the dc to tr and I was away.

The pattern calls for changing the colours every two rows. I decided to do it every four to make a larger chevron and I am very pleased with the results.

Here is the finished product.

The blanket measures about 46 x68 cm - just little enough for capsule, bassinette or pram. It is in neutral colours so will suit either a wee pink baby or a wee blue baby. I love the wee detailed edging - little bobble type bumps along the top and bottom edges.

This pattern is really easy to follow once you work out the repeating pattern. I urge any intermediate crocheter to give it a go. To make a bigger blanket, double or triple the foundation chain length.

A very very clever friend of mine has made this pattern in rainbow colours and it is simply stunning.

The winter is fast approaching and my crochet hook is being put to work much more that the darker evenings are around. What have you got planned for your winter crafting? Happy crocheting everyone. A x

No comments:

Post a Comment