A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Saturday 19 April 2014

The cutest darn book bags a kid could want

Several of our wee friends have had birthday's recently. Some were turning 5. I love to be able to make gifts as often as possible, especially when you have 8 birthdays in one month.

One item I have been making a lot is a book bag. At our school, and many others around our region, the children are asked to bring a book bag along to carry their reader and homework books to and from school. It keeps everything neat and also gives parents a place to find that important notice and reading homework. Of course you can purchase these book bags at stationary outlets but imagine the specialness of having a one of a kind.

Here are a few of them:


The book bags are really simple to make - Its essentially 4 rectangles of fabric (two outer, two inner) and a zip at the top.

I cut my outer pieces to 12 1/2 inches x 14 1/2 inches once I have joined the two co ordinating fabrics. I cut the lining fabric to the same size.

I use a 35 cm zip so that it is longer than the top edge of the book bag. Then I am able to just sew across the zip when I sew up the entire bag, making it an easy and painless zip to put in.

This is a great way to use up scraps or to purpose buy for a special wee one you know.

Happy sewing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment