A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Wednesday 9 November 2011

Another craft room project – a noticeboard

(First an apology for the bad photos, I had to take these on my ipod)

The colours for my craft room are pink, white and green (the walls were a pale green already and I didn’t want to re-paint).  My mum gave me some pink gingham so I thought I would use this for my notice board.  You can use any fabric but I do think quilting cotton or furnishing fabric does work a bit better. 

What you need:

- a large piece of board cut to your desired size (not too heavy if it’s to be mounted on the wall)
- enough fabric to cover the board with perhaps 5cm clear all around
- calico to cover the board
- elastic
- batting
- staple gun
- optional bull dog clips

Just a note, the first I made these I did it on our table.  DON’T DO THIS unless you want staple holes all over your table and an angry husband!!!  Now I do them on the carpet or even a sheet outside on the grass would be fine too.

1)    Lay you fabric right side down, then the batting on top (to cover edge to edge), then the board



2)    Fold the fabric up and onto the board, pulling fairly tight and secure with a bulldog clip.  I like to do one side, then the opposite.

3)    Next run your elastic from corner to corner across the diagonal underneath your board (so the elastic is on the right side of the fabric).  Staple one end, pull it tight and over the end to staple on the back.  Repeat for the other side, then the middle.



4)    Iron a small seam on your calico and place on the back of your board (this is to cover up the messiness).  You might need to do a few staple before this too.  Then simply staple the calico on in a few places while also stapling down the fabric.



You are done!


Now drill some hooks in the back and put it up to show the world.

'Till next time, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment