A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Wednesday 5 October 2011

Zipper Critters

We are smack in the middle of birthday season. Lots of our wee friends are turning 5, 2 or 3. Its special. And birthdays are a great excuse to sew sew sew. One of my favourite little person's gift is a Zipper Critter.

A year or so ago, my Mum was gifted a pattern. Knowing that it would be right up my alley, she lent it to me.
Zipper Critters are a wonderful way to use up scraps to make a super special gift. I have made the little dog and cat that hang from a clip. Oscar's was my first creation and I believe it went down a treat. Last week, a little friend of Cullen's turned 5. He was visiting from overseas and instead of trying to work out what to buy him I decided to give him some spending money while he was here. Money fits perfectly in the mouths of these little critters. He told me he would hang it from his bag when he started school so he could remember which bag was his.
Our local $2 shop sells these little clips, four for $2.50. They are plastic not metal but definately do the trick.
You can use anything to create these colourful little guys. Old buttons, old zips or cheap ones from op shops. The ears have pipe cleaners in them to make them bend. Am thinking it might be a great pass the parcel prize for another up coming birthday..... pretty neat eh? A xx

1 comment: