A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Monday 26 September 2011

Book Bag

Oscar's friend has a birthday coming up and it's the big 5 which means starting school.  He loves Cars so I thought I would make him a book bag.

I found some Cars curtain fabric at Spotlight which I thought would be a nice sturdy fabric to use.

I folded over the fabric to make a rectangle about 40cm x 35cm.


Then cut a flat - doubled over, same width as bag with slightly curved corners.


Turn it wrong sides together and bind the whole flap.  Here's a good tutorial on binding.


I wanted to add a wee pocket for his library card.  Cut a piece of plastic (like what duvets come in) approx 4"x3".  I started to bind this but it was way too hard/fiddly so cheated.  I sewed across the top first and inserted the plastic into one folded edge.  I did a large zig zag stitch.




The other three sides need to be sewn onto the bag.  I turned over the edge of the binding, inserted the plastic into a fold and sewed down one side.  Cut, then repeated the process for the other two sides.


Next fold down and sew the two top edges where it opens (seperately)



Next I bound the two long and bottom edge sides.


Pin your flap where you want it to go (remember to pin to the back piece)


And sew






Attach a snap (or velcro) and you are down


Until next time, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment