A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Sunday 30 October 2011

Quick and easy present for a new baby

My step-brother and his wife are having their first baby soon, while we aren't at all close, I still wanted to give them a hand-made gift.

I decided on a floor blanket - I made great use of these for both my kids right up until they could walk really.  Also a great thing to take with you when you go out so at least you know your blanket is clean - unlike where you might be going!



I decided to purchase some 5" charm packs from etsy - this automatically saved so much time as I didn't have to cut out (hence why Thea's quilt which I started six months ago is still in the very much unfinished pile!).

I chose Amy Butler's Soul Blossom which I thought was nice and feminine for a baby girl.  At first I was going to do the whole blanket in 5" squares but it was going to be a bit more than I wanted to spend so I purchased 2 charm packs and one yard of coordinating fabric (so maybe $25-30 all up?).  I have quite a few squares left over and heaps of the spots so I am happy.



So, how did I do it?  It was quick and easy - perhaps 3-4 hours in total.

1) I spent a bit of time laying out the squares in a pattern, but this was up to you.  Then I cute 5" wide strips from the coordinating fabric.
2) Sew each square together in a line  - no need to backstitch at either end (use 1/4" seams)
3) Sew the coordinating fabric to the line of squares
4) repeat as above as you gradually join each line.  It's REALLY important to iron regularly - this gives a really professional finish, plus you want to iron the seams all the same way.
5) lay your fabric on your backing and cut a piece big enough.  Amber suggested sweat shirting as it meant the blanket could be washed, and she had some spare pink which I used.
6) Pin right sides togeher and sew (1'4 seam) all the way but leave a space for turning.
7) trim edges and cut off corners, turn right wayout
8) IRON!!!
9) Top stitch all the way around making sure you close that gap you left for turning.  I used two different threads - pink in the bobbin for the fleece and then blue for the top.



So there you go - quick and easy baby present...pretty neat eh!

'Till next time, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment