A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Friday 16 December 2011

Stocking's are a-ready Santa

As each wee family member arrives, it is essential that they have a stocking to hang before the big day. Our wee Phoenix is no exception. My sister Gem phoned a week or so ago and shared Phoenix's message. "Come on Auntie Am, get your skates on and please make me a stocking to hang up this year.... I'm expecting a big haul of pressies". Well, who could refuse such a cute wee 5mth old...

So Mr P, here you are!
Its pretty easy to whip one of these babies up. I traced around one of our stockings I already had, adding a 1/4 inch seam allowance as I went. I cut out 2 outside pieces and two inside pieces.


For the two outside pieces, I ironed them onto fusible fleece (available at craft stores) and ran a few quilting lines across them to anchor the fleece nicely.

Then I made the handle out of the inside fabric. I cut a length 2 1/2 inches wide and about 7-8 inches long. Folded it in half and pressed, then folded the long edges in towards middle about 1/4 inch and pressed again. I top stitched down each long edge.

Now you just sew the two outside fabrics together and the two inside fabrics together leaving the top of the stocking open. Leave a 4 inch gap in the bottom of the inner stocking so that you turn it all in the right way after sewing the two stockings together.

Attach your handle to the 'back' seam of the outside stocking.

Turn the outside of the stocking right side out and place it inside the inner, so that right sides are facing. Line up the side seams and sew around the top.
Once you have completed the top seam, you can turn the stocking right side out and stuff the lining back inside. Its nice to press the top with a small amount of the inside fabric showing. Then run a 1/4 inch top stitch around the top to finish your stocking. Sew the turning hole in your lining closed with an edge stitch.

Little P would probably like a play mate one day ... so I have added his initial to his stocking just to avoid any confusion for Father Christmas in the future ;)


Merry Christmas Little Phoenix. Love Auntie Am

No comments:

Post a Comment