A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Wednesday 7 September 2011

To my Gran and my Mum

I have been a thinking.... A few weeks ago I wrote a blog about what inspires us. Here goes part 2!

Last night was the first of a now 6 session sewing course that a friend and I have set up. Six other 'sew amazing' women come along and sew with us. We are creating little two hour projects with Christmas gifts in mind.

Anyway... last night was the first night so we did introductions. During these, two people mentioned that prior to meeting me, one didn't own a sewing machine or sew, the other's sewing machine has been covered in dust since 6th form. I was incredibly flattered that I had been something of a catalyst for these two women to sew. We had a wonderful two (and a bit!) hours of sewing, with 9 gorgeous little wallets completed.

I went home and while I was winding down to sleep, those introductions came back to me.... who was my catalyst? Why do I love this craft so much?

It didn't take me long to realise the answer. Crafting is in my blood, it is and has been part of my world since I was very young. Both my mum and her mum, my beloved Gran make/made with their hands. My Gran taught me to French knit when I was 5 or 6, then knit. My mum fostered a love of sewing. Each of us found our niche, Gran knitting, Mum quilting, me sewing (and recently crocheting). But we have many other crafts we enjoy beyond that niche. We three, also get so much pleasure creating and making for others. My children, their friends, my friends and family are all recipients of my craft and I love it. I love the challenge each year of compiling my Christmas/Birthday creating list. It makes each gift so personal. It warms my heart to hear my children say with pride, "My Mummy made it".

So, Gran and Mum, last night was for you. The joy that made my heart smile to hear the little conversations the seven 'sew amazing' women had when reading the pattern and working things out for themselves is because of you. What I lived and breathed as a 'little one', right up to being a 'big one', is thanks to you. And, what really makes my heart sing is that I see it all happening again with Macie and Cullen. I reckon that is pretty neat.... eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment