A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Tuesday 30 August 2011

Sewn merino handwarmers for adults

So I have this great pair of merino handwarmers…but they cost $55.

I thought that I could easily make them for less than that plus I was thinking of present ideas for my son’s kindergarten teachers when he lefts for school. Perfect I thought…I can combine the two!

Here’s my first stab, not too bad and I just made them out of an old merino top so if there were mistakes it didn’t matter.


image



I started off my drafting a pattern from my existing ones and really thinking about how to construct (in terms of what to sew first) plus seam allowances.

I cut out two pieces on the fold
image



And when put together the shape is looking pretty good


image



They were easy to whip up. Overlock the straight hems (the bottom, thumb and across the hand) and then with right sides together fold these up 1cm and sew with a straight stitch (remember to use a stretch needle).

Next, straight stitch between the thumb and first finger seam, then overlock pulling the curve straight, then do repeat with the final long seam.  Remember to thread the overlocking threads back through the stitches with a darning needle).

I am pretty happy with the outcome and it will be a great present for many years to come - it's cost effective and relatively easy to sew.

'Til next time, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment