A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Monday 17 February 2014

Its a MYSTERY...

Quilters' Lane Mystery Quilt 2014

For Christmas I received a very special present. Participation in a mystery quilt. I had been interested in this for about a year and several of the sew club girls had also expressed and interest. My clever mum had remembered me mentioning it so when she rocked up to sign up for the Quilters Lane Mystery Quilt 2014 she booked me on too. Thanks Mum!

The quilt itself being a complete mystery, the only thing you have a choice in is the fabric range you choose. There are about 10 colour ways to choose from. Mum and I are doing different colour ways.Mum chose mine and told me about it for Christmas. I shared this exciting stuff with the sew club girls, 3 of whom also joined the mystery quilt bus. Melissa and I are doing the same colour way so have decided to take turn about sharing our progress.

So, how does it work?   Well, each month starting this month, Feb, for ten months in total, a small package arrives in the letterbox. It contains pre-cut fabric and instructions for what to do with it. At the end of ten months all the mystery quilters get together for a sew day at Quilters Lane and learn how to put it all together.

Last Tuesday, my first package arrived and this is what I unpacked:

My colour way is called Spring Fling and these are 3 of the fabrics that the mystery quilt will have in it.

My first task was to make sure I was sewing 1/4 inch seams. These were stipulated that they must be accurate and the instructions suggested a great way to work this out. I had to cut 3 strips of fabric at 2 1/2 inches wide, sew them together with a 1/4 inch seam. The middle strip should measure exactly 2 inches if I have been accurate.
Phew! Nailed it. I did have help though. My machine has a 37 foot. It is for sewing 1/4 inch seams and lucky for me it was spot on.

That established, I got ready to assemble my first mystery pack.

First job was to sew the wee triangles together to make a two toned square, and then sew them into strips of 5 squares.
The next job was a wee bit more challenging. Thank goodness there are detailed pictures. Lesson learned - check the picture several times before sewing to make sure you have the right bit in the right place. I had to unpick a few times after sewing strips to the wrong side. However, I am very pleased with the results - especially after sharing them with my mum - master quilter - I received great praise. "Lovely points Amber" (whatever that means.) I had better find out.

Each piece has to be labelled so at the end of ten months it can be put together into a quilt top. Here is the total result of package one, February.
I must say, I can't wait til March. Perhaps I will meet the next two fabrics?? Will I be able to piece together a few clues as to how this quilt might look?

Happy summer sewing everyone! A x

No comments:

Post a Comment