A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Tuesday 14 May 2013

Russian Doll Dress with Corduroy


I have a gorgeous wee pattern called the to tie for dress by Olive-Ann Designs that my clever mum found in the States on a quilting visit several years ago. The great thing about these patterns is that it comes in loads of sizes (1-6 years) and sometimes with a matching dolls dress too. I made the wee dress for Macie for a family wedding several summers ago - it is reversible and super easy to sew. 
 I found this babuska doll corduroy at Spotlight last year and have been waiting for a project to grab me. I also had a piece of lightweight denim so decided to marry the two to make this dress for Macie. I have altered the pattern slightly so that we are not tie-ing up the straps as this was too bulky with corduroy. I have shortened the front straps and kept the back straps the same length as pattern and have popped on a strip of velcro to secure the straps.

 The dress is a size 4 - made to the size 5 length. A girlfriend of mine had recently used the pattern to make a dress for her daughter and found the pattern very roomy. This way, the girls have plenty of width to grow into plus a little hem to let down next winter.
 The denim I had was a little short for the length I needed so I have joined it with an unfinished seam on the back - I quite like the wee effect it gives to the dress. I also carefully cut out one of the babuska dolls to sneak onto the back of the dress. This particular dress is not reversible. I have added a facing front and back instead.
Macie ordered herself one of the crochet beanies too this week - colour choice now my personal fav!!! A gorgeous soft green with a light grey flower. Looking forward to making another this week for a friend too.


















Have a super crafty week everyone! Am taking the above little princess of to the local library - hoping for a chance to sneak to the crafting section for a little old school inspiration - in a book! Have been enjoying a great look on pinterest this week too ;) oh to have the time to just create full time ;) A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment