A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Sunday 29 July 2012

Oscar's quilt and an embarrassing UFO

So, lets get the uncomfortable project out of the way first (well uncomfortable for me).  I have two projects that I started way over a year ago...both for Thea.  I feel really guilty about this as she loves when I make her stuff but somethings get put in the too-hard basket and stay there.

Anyway, I started the Jo Pinafore way back in March/April last year.  Every two weeks I would take it to my craft group and knit a few rows then put it away again until next time.  It's not a hard pattern at all but I have come to realise that I am not into big projects - I like quick things like hats, scarves, handwarmers etc.

Anyway, my mother-n-law was down for the weekend and she finished it off for me!!!  She's a very experienced knitter, not to mention quick, so within a matter of minutes (it seemed) the straps were done and the loose bits woven in.  All ready for Thea to wear to a party that afternoon!



We deviated from the pattern slightly with the straps (I was finding the double knitting incredibly frustrating) so they are wider than the proper Jo pinafore.  But I don't care...it's finished!  And hopefuly will see her through a couple more winters.

The other project that was finished on the weekend (again thanks to my MIL who finished hand sewing the binding) is Oscar's quilt.  Remember I used the Parson Gray range of fabrics which I love.  I am really happy with it.


My craft girls helped me decide on the colour for the border and binding which I think works so well.


I just decided to quilt a straight line through the middle of each 5" block.  And I backed it with a woollen blanket that came from my mums stash.



While I just sewed the 5" blocks together, I tried to create random  shapes - a large square here, a long rectangle here.  I am so pleased with this quilt and I hope it will be something he takes with him into adulthood!



Until next time, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment