A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Sunday 1 July 2012

My first quilt


A while ago I told you about my love affair with Amy Butler.  Well it continues with my first quilt - a lap quilt for the couch.


And it matches my Amy Butler Gum Drop Pillow!


My sew club (that Amber's a member of too) had a couple of classes with Amber's Mum, a very experienced quilter.  I decided to do a 'disappearing nine patch' for my quilt.  While I had my Amy Butler fabric, for this method you need a 'constant' fabric, so Amber's mum kindly rushed out to get me some of the green spot you can see below.

Right so it was fun to put together, I cut many many 5" squares (and now see the benefit of charm packs!) and sewed nine together randomly...except always having the green constant in the middle


Then I sliced by nine patch down the middle horizontally and vertically


Then turned them around and sewed it back together!


From here it was simply a matter of repeating with however many nine patches I needed.



The quilt has already had some use :)




I have a few more to make and will try different methods so I shall be back!

Until next time, Melissa

1 comment:

  1. i've not yet taken to quilts, but yours is excellent! good choice on the amy butler fabric, and really nicely handled.

    ReplyDelete