A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Tuesday 28 February 2012

A New Dolly

A month or so ago I came across a gorgeous wee dolls pattern. It is from Olive-Ann Designs, a designer in America. I couldn't resist for two reasons. One, I thought the doll was very cool and two, she came with patterns for clothes... and the clothes match the little girls patterns! Double cool.

When the pattern arrived, I shared it with Macie. "Oh that's cute Mummy," she said. I asked her which colour hair she would like her doll to have. "Purple." was the response. Hmmmm. Ok, lets go to the shops and get what we need I suggested.

Off we toddled together.. Oh what fun. She was seriously focused on this little project. I was totally impressed at how certain she was in her colour choices (that changed 3 times) until she had made her final choice. We moved from purple, to maroon to black. Black it is. Then we had to choose lip and eye colour. I managed to pursuade her that purple eyes weren't quite the thing and that blue would look very pretty. Pink lips, of course... and the hair ribbons.... PUPRLE. No dilly dallying over that choice. She was right on the purple like a shot. I love the conviction that a two and a half year old has when they are happy with their choice.

We paid, and were given our goodies in a little black plastic bag. The bag didn't leave her hands for a whole 4 hours I am sure.

That evening I searched You Tube for embroidery stitches to make the doll's face. In the morning I showed her. She carried that face around inside a zip lock bag for the day. It went for walks in the buggy, slept in the dolls cot and became Macie's little doll. One evening at sew club I cut out two little outfits using material that Macie has clothes in also.

After sewing the body and attaching the face this doll got to sit at the table (pre-stuffing) and watch Maisy Mouse on DVD. I managed to keep her out of bed that night to stuff her and start her hair. She sat on the table for 2-3 nights with a fringe. And tonight, I finished her hair... Here she is waiting for her new Mummy Macie to wake up in the morning.
Our next challenge is to think of a name for this doll. Macie, I think has "Dolly" in mind. I think it suits her. "Dolly" has been lots of fun to create. I look forward to adding to her wardrobe as I add to Macie's this coming winter. A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment