A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Monday 30 January 2012

Keeping Cosy

Last year in September I learned to crochet at a Workshop 33 class. I fell in love with the Granny square. I started out with a blanket for Macie's baby doll and then progressed to a cushion cover (yet to be finished ;). Since September I have seen in numerous magazines and in op shops the traditional granny square blanket and I have fallen even deeper in love with it.

I decided that I would make a blanket for Macie's bed. I only wanted it to be big enough to cover her body when she was lying in bed. The idea is that it sits on the end of her bed to be pulled up on those chilly nights to keep her cosy. Or, if she fancies, for her to snuggle under on the couch or on car trips.

I started in about October maybe... making my squares. I chose raspberry, green and a soft pink for my colours, all edged in white. Purchasing the wool in 2-3 ball lots as and when I needed it.

Over the past 4 months, I have picked up and put down this project in and around other sewing ones and Christmas pressies. It has been my only crochet project for these 4 months and I am very pleased with myself that I have seen it though from start to finish. There is something very very satisfying completing one project at at time. (If only this worked with my sewing!! Although I am working on that.)

Crochet is fabulous to take anywhere in your bag and over our two recent camping trips, in the evenings I sat and crocheted squares and then crocheted the squares together. On one particular night, I even slept under the half finished blanket for extra warmth!

Today, it is done.
The Granny square up close...
And the cosy...

Perfect fit for my little princess.

My next crochet project is all ready and waiting. I picked up a bag of beautiful wools in naturals, browns and creams to make an antique looking throw for my bed. Again, I cannot resist using the granny square. I am desperately keen to get started.

For me, a knitter since a young age, I am a total crochet convert. I normally wouldn't pick up a ball of wool and needles anytime between October and April. Too hot, too heavy. Crochet is quite different for me. You are holding a much smaller piece of work, its repetitive, its soothing, it keeps my hands busy of an evening. Do try it! I think its pretty neat!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment