A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Friday 13 January 2012

Hat Hats .. Such a lot of hats

NZ summer demands it.. nephews and daughters do too... A new bucket hat please. I have been having fun over the past couple of days creating bucket hats. I have made three using the Heidi and Finn Hampton Hat for Kids. This pattern is available in PDF on Etsy. It is sold as a winter hat for girls but is just perfect for a summer cotton hat for little kiddies in your world.


I make the summer version to be reversable. I chose this time to not use interfacing at all as I liked the idea of it being 'floppy'. The finished version is not floppy but is a lovely light hat to wear with a gorgeous shape that holds it own.

The pattern comes in 3 sizes, 6mth-1, 2-3 and 4-5 year sizes. I have made all three. They are easy fun and really really cute. I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance for the entire hat and had no probs making it all fit nicely. (The pattern uses a slightly different seam allowance.) I love the 1930's look to the hat.

So my 5 year old niece scored my first attempt for Macie which was too big, Macie happy with her pink one and this one is for baby Phoenix... must admit I LOVE the brown fabric.
I added some lovely green ribbon to this hat to that my sister can secure it to little Phoenix's head.

I am on the hunt of a tried and tested bucket hat pattern for larger heads... older child/adult. I would be interested in any suggestions you have!

I hope you are enjoying the summer sunshine! A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment