A tale of two extraordinary lives filled with children, craft and laughter



Saturday 10 September 2011

Summer Wardrobe Series Part I

Over the past several months I have been tagging some ideas for M's summer wardrobe off the crafty blogs I read. Two that I have been looking forward to making are the snap wrap dress found at:  http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/09/snap-wrap-dress.html
and the heirloom skirt found at:
http://www.dana-made-it.com/2011/08/tutorial-heirloom-skirt-with-pockets.html

I had purchased the same butterfly fabric as Melissa last year and was just waiting for the perfect project to use it for. The snap wrap dress was it. I still need to hem it when M gets up tomorrow and then it will be off to Melissa's to snap! Here it is so far.
The material is a very thin cotton so will be lovely and floaty. I added top stitching to the bodice. I think top stitching adds a nicely finished look. I love the full look that using the whole width of the fabric gives.
The Heirloom skirt was so so cute. It is a quick and easy skirt to cut out and sew. Only a couple of seams, bit of elastic and a hem and its ready to wear. I love that you don't have a pattern to cut around, just a waist meansurement to take and the desired length to work out.

I really liked the contrasting pocket. I found in my scraps the ends of a pair of jeans that I had hemmed for myself a while back (always keep these as they often come in handy). So I used the denim for pockets.

 All that is left is to find a couple of funky buttons to put on the pockets. M has already worn both today. The top skirt was worn in the garden so now needs a wash. She helped my sew the black one and chose the cat fabric for the trim. Its called her cat skirt. The black fabric is quite thin, its the lining from an old dress of mine. I figured its a summer dress, light and cool and its better than the fabric going to waste.
These skirts are quite full. The pattern suggests to double the waist measurement to get a full looking skirt. It also recommends a 1.5x the waist measurement for a not so full skirt.

Not bad effort for an afternoon of sewing. This summer wardrobe is all about upcycling. Looking forward to sharing the next creations. A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment